[FAILURE/WAITING] 1.Hardship 2.USA 3.Temporary resident CAN 4. 3/26

Forum Home COPR Cases [FAILURE/WAITING] 1.Hardship 2.USA 3.Temporary resident CAN 4. 3/26

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    liannafliannaf
    Participant

Hi there!

My name is Lianna, my partners name is Dan and I wanted to share our story. I’m an American, He’s Australian. He lives in BC currently on a temporary work permit. He’s lived there for 3 years. We met 2 year ago and at the time it wasn’t a big deal to make the weekend trip up from Montana to be together. March, 2020 I officially got invited to apply by IRCC and submitted my application to become a permanent resident under the Federal Skilled Worker program. He did the same in June, 2o2o under the Canadian Experience Class.

We’ve been separated since March, 2020 by the US-Border Closure. He did fly down twice to see me as that still allowed. Risking exposure, but also having to quarantine for weeks upon his return. In July, I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma and had to have surgery. It was at this point I just didn’t think I could take anymore. He is a hunting guide up near the Yukon border so between July-October the only communication we had was over a satellite phone. But we pressed on, just kept thinking positive and believing that my application should be approved soon. 6 months passed, 7, 8, 9 months…nothing.

From the 6 month point on, every time I called IRCC they said that everything was passed, but my security just hasn’t been initiated yet. This final step towards getting approval and FINALLY being able to drive through the border ( safely and following all protocols and regulations) has been the darkest time in our lives. We have endured SO much this year..the separation, the lack of communication, the pandemic, my cancer diagnosis…and it seemed like we were reaching the light at the end of the tunnel but to no avail. I have had to move in with my parents while I wait. I lost my job due to Covid and can’t afford to pay rent when Canada requires a very large settlement fund.

He has had to Bridge his work permit while he also waits for COPR. And the extended family exemptions don’t apply to us, as we aren’t common law or married. We are just waiting for my application to finally be approved so we don’t even have to apply for the Extended family exemption as I will be a PR.

Every day begins with such hope, and ends with such frustration. I am an American who CAN travel even with the current border restrictions, waiting for my security to be run and finalized. We are both so frustrated and so broken because of the delay in processing.

All we want is to be together, safely. I hope our story helps others feel not alone.

Sincerely,

Lianna and Dan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.